On top of the world: England hockey star Tim Whiteman coaches stars of the future at North Walsham High School
- Credit: Newman Associates
England Hockey star Tim Whiteman has swapped the hockey pitch for the classroom... but not entirely.
Students at a North Walsham High School are receiving world class hockey training, since former England star Tim Whiteman has begun teaching at their school.
Mr Whiteman made his debut for England in 2014, and has now joined North Walsham High School as a humanities teacher specialising in history. He has also set up an after-school hockey club.
Girls and boys across the school are all making rapid improvements to their game in just a few weeks under Mr Whiteman's coaching, and plans are already underway to enter the County indoor hockey competition next year.
Mr Whiteman, who has also played for championship winning Beeston, a team based in Nottinghamshire, said: 'The excitement and buzz of the Team GB women's team winning at Rio has really raised the profile of hockey, and when I volunteered to run an after-school hockey club at NWHS, the take-up was tremendous.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Whiteman has also been appointed as men's player coach at leading Norfolk club Harleston Magpies next season. He added: 'Most of those taking part have never played before, but the enthusiasm is excellent. It's a sport that girls and boys can play together, so the whole group is learning with each other – it's a great team spirit.'
NWHS head of PE Paul Bradshaw said: 'We are delighted to have Tim join the staff here at the school, and it is of course motivating for students to have a former international professional player coach them. It is great to be able to add hockey to the wide variety of sports we offer, both as part of the PE curriculum, and in extra-curricular activities.'
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 7 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 8 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 9 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
- 10 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000