Norwich Steiner School celebrates summer solstice
Norwich schoolchildren have been enjoying some fireside festivities to mark the summer solstice and the festival of St John.
The pupils at Norwich Steiner School took part in the special celebrations at the Hospital Lane school on Friday.
Michael Higgins, one of the teachers at the Hospital Lane school which has about 90 pupils aged three to 14, said: 'Throughout the year we mark the passing of the year with different festivals, and we prepare music and celebrate the different times of the year.
'Yesterday we celebrated the summer solstice. It is when the sun is the highest in the sky so it is a very fiery festival.
'There was a lot of music and dancing, and drumming around the fire,' he said, adding that the singing included summer rounds, medieval rounds and African songs mixed in with drumming and country dancing.
You may also want to watch:
When the fire died down the children jumped over the burning embers as part of the celebrations.
For more information about Norwich Steiner School visit www.norwichsteinerschool.co.uk
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town