Norwich hair and make-up students enjoy a behind the scenes look at Priscilla Queen of the Desert
- Credit: Archant
Students from City College Norwich have been enjoying a behind the scenes look at the latest show at Norwich Theatre Royal.
Priscilla Queen of the Desert starring Jason Donovan is currently at the city venue, and the show - described as an uplifting adventure of three friends who hop aboard a battered old bus searching for love and friendship - features an array of outrageous costumes.
The Priscilla wig department has more than 100 wigs to look after plus lots of headdresses and masks, and throughout this week beauty and media make-up students Charlotte Howard, Georgia Cuddihy, Chloe Winslade and Viktoria Vargavo are each spending a night shadowing members of the team.
Jade Paterson, head of wigs for the show, said: 'There's lots of backcombing, rollers and cans of hairspray with the team getting through around 10 cans of hairspray a week. The wigs are all prepared each day in advance and then are taken through to the dressing rooms or the side of the stage ready for quick changes.'
Nichola Sore, lecturer in hair, beauty and media make-up at City College Norwich, said it was an 'invaluable' opportunity for the students.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'As tutors we can teach the students the theory knowledge and skills they require for industry and we can also relay our own experiences of working on TV, film and theatre. However, rare opportunities such as these enable our students to experience first-hand the fast-paced, hectic and exciting environment of working backstage on a stage production and to get a taste of the career path they have chosen and wish to progress into.'
Priscilla Queen of the Desert runs until Saturday. Visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or call the box office on 01603 630000.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 8 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk