New sixth form centre opens at Mildenhall College Academy
- Credit: Archant
Mildenhall College Academy has celebrated the opening of its new sixth form centre, MCA6, the first dedicated education centre for over-16s in the local Suffolk area.
The new centre has been a part of Principal, Susan Byles' vision for the academy for some time and part of its mission to provide high quality education for 16-19 year olds.
She said: 'The centre will not only provide excellent and bespoke sixth form facilities, but it also has the potential to develop as a further and higher education centre for the wider community.'
The new facility, made possible in part by funding from the Academy Transformation Trust, includes a recording studio, lecture theatre, new science labs, dark room, dance studio and coffee bar.
She added: 'The very best thing about having this centre is the reaction of over 200 students – they love being here. There is an exciting buzz everywhere you go.'
You may also want to watch:
Mildenhall College (of Technology) became an academy in July 2013 with the Academy Transformation Trust.
Founded in 1976 and formerly an upper school with pupils aged 13-18 Mildenhall College took on two additional year groups in September 2012 under Suffolk County Council's re-organisation of schools, becoming a community 11-18 (mixed) school. It currently has 1050 students on roll, with 200 in the sixth form. The academy operates across a split-site with Years 7 to 11 at the main site (Bury Road) and the sixth form in the new specialist centre, MCA6, at Sheldrick Way.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
Mildenhall College Academy serves a semi-rural area and over half of its youngsters travel by bus. The academy provides free 'late' transport for students who want to stay for after school activities.