“How can the Inspiration Trust be got rid of?” - Clive Lewis MP’s questions following Hewett invitation
- Credit: Archant
Many thought the controversy over the Hewett Academy was over, but now it has emerged Norwich South MP Clive Lewis has asked the Inspiration Trust a series of questions before deciding whether to take up its offer of a place on its governing body.
When Clive Lewis, the newly-elected Labour MP, made his maiden speech in Parliament, he did not mince his words about the Inspiration Trust, which was then due to take over the Hewett, telling MPs: 'Indeed the robber barons are back'.
The trust described the speech as disappointing, and said its only interest was 'restoring the Hewett to its once proud position as one of the country's best schools'.
There is little love lost between the two sides. Mr Lewis is the Anti-Academies Alliance patron, but when ministers confirmed in August that the Hewett would become an academy, the Inspiration Trust invited him to join the school's new local governing body.
Now, it has emerged Mr Lewis has asked the Inspiration Trust a series of questions, based on the late Tony Benn's Five Essential Questions of Democracy, before deciding whether to take up the offer.
You may also want to watch:
His spokesman said he wanted schools to be accountable to local communities, parents and elected representatives, and he wanted to know what sort of body he was being asked to join.
Inspiration Trust spokesman James Goffin said it invited him 'because he claimed to be interested in education in the city', and said that 'just copying and pasting a clichéd set of questions' suggested he was more interested in posturing than helping children get the best start in life.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 8 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
Do you have an education story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org