Hethersett Academy “an absolute success story” - national schools commissioner Sir David Carter
- Credit: Keith Whitmore
One of the most powerful figures in the government's academies programme has praised the success of Hethersett Academy.
Yesterday's trip by Sir David Carter, who became national schools commissioner in February, was part of a visit to the Inspiration Trust which also saw him go to the Sir Isaac Newton Sixth Form in Norwich.
He said the record of Hethersett Academy, which recently saw its Ofsted grade rise from 'inadequate' to 'outstanding', demonstrated what schools can do when they have three key things in place: leadership that is good, leadership that has an impact on teaching, and a strong trust behind it to give it the capacity for further improvement.
He added: 'I think it's an absolute success story for this part of the country and the region.' He later met Inspiration heads, and said one reason for visiting was to see how others could learn from it.
Asked if he would like to see Inspiration Trust expand outside its Norfolk and Waveney territory and sponsor schools in other regions, as a recent government White Paper suggested some good local trusts could do, Sir David said: 'My first answer would be that would be a matter for them entirely.
You may also want to watch:
'I think there should be a degree of caution about trusts going too fast and growing beyond their immediate locality. I think there are probably other ways in which the quality I have seen the team has developed being used to help and influence and help other trusts without having to take over schools in other parts of the region.'
During his visit, Sir David would not comment on the government's controversial, and now modified, plan for all schools to become academies by 2022.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 10 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
Do you have an education story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org