Gresham’s School at Holt gets permission for £5m music centre and boarding houses overhaul
- Credit: Archant
The New Year will see big changes for a Holt school, after it got permission for an overhaul of its facilities.
Gresham's School was given the go-ahead for a £5m sixth form and music building, plus big improvements to four boarding houses at its Cromer Road site.
The scheme, developed by Norfolk-based LSI Architects, includes the music building, with classrooms, practice rooms, a recording studio, a 140-seat auditorium that will be used as a sixth form lecture theatre as well as performing space, cafeteria and social spaces for pupils.
Four boarding houses will be improved, with permanent extensions planned for Crossways, Kenwyn, Edinburgh and Britten. Douglas Robb, Gresham's headmaster, said: 'I, together with the pupils, staff and governors, am very excited about the forthcoming developments here at Gresham's School.
'Music plays a significant role in the daily life of the pupils, so it's vital that we can provide them with first class equipment and facilities and I am confident that, by building this wonderful focal point for the school, we'll be able to do just that.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'Equally, it's important that we offer our boarders a place that they can call home while they are at Gresham's. The extensions and planned improvements to four of our boarding houses will ensure that the houses continue to be welcoming, homely and comfortable for existing pupils and those looking to join Gresham's in the future.'
Improvement works are expected to start in March 2016.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 3 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 4 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 5 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 6 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
- 7 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 8 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 9 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
- 10 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
A school spokesman said the design of the extensions and new building integrated well with the existing buildings in terms of appearance, with the use of the same materials throughout.
? A model of the sixth form and music building is on display in Gresham's Senior School reception area and can be viewed between 9am and 3pm, Monday to Friday.