Future Voices: My experience of living at the YMCA
- Credit: Archant
Hello, my name is Billie I live at the YMCA Hall Quay in Great Yarmouth. I have lived here for 15 months.
I came to the YMCA because I had nowhere to go, and couldn't find anywhere decent and affordable to live. I moved in when Hall Quay first opened in March last year. I moved in when there were only five of us here, there are 21 now.
It was very quiet back then as nobody knew each other, it was all new, and none of us knew what to expect. As it started filling up there was a lot more people around and we all started to talk and make friends.
It can be difficult living with 21 other people as you can't get on with everyone all of the time. We all try to make it work and try and help each other out.
I am a resident representative. This is to enable us to have a voice with support staff about the issues within the building - if people have a problem they can talk to me to try and get it resolved. We have a lot of social activities and house meetings to encourage all new residents to get involved in our community.
You may also want to watch:
We now have the life ready team which has helped with the amount support available. They run courses to help us move on such as money skills and tenancy awareness. This helps us to get a better understanding of what will be needed when we move on.
Staff are here to help us and try and teach us skills needed to get on in life. It can be tough some days but staff are always there to talk to. I have seen a lot of changes in my time here and the staff try and take our ideas on board and make it a nice place to be. I am a lot more confident to talk to people now.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 6 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 7 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
Billie Fox, 21, Great Yarmouth
YMCA Norfolk is a local charity that helps young people with supported housing and youth development towards a more positive future.
Every night YMCA provides a safe, warm place to stay and support toward independent living for over 260 young people across Norfolk.
If you are having problems in your current housing, and are aged 16-25 YMCA Norfolk can help.
Find out more: www.ymca-norfolk.org.uk or 01603 877950