Focused Ofsted inspections at 28 Norfolk schools
- Credit: Getty Images
Teams of Ofsted inspectors have today begun a week of co-ordinated inspections in Norfolk to find out why the county has a disproportionate number of under-performing schools.
It is part of a wave of focused school visits taking place during the current term in local authority areas where the proportion of children attending a good or outstanding school is currently well below the national average.
The most recent data shows that only 54pc of secondary school children in Norfolk attend a good or better school. For primary school children, the figure is 63pc.
Sean Harford, Ofsted regional director for the East of England, said: 'Every parent wants their child to go to a good or better school. However, in Norfolk a little over half of secondary school age children and only 63% of primary school children currently do so.
'It cannot be right that local authority areas with similar demographics - such as the size of the population and the levels of deprivation - have such varying levels of provision in schools.'
You may also want to watch:
Together this will give a powerful snapshot of not only how well schools are doing in Norfolk since the Annual Report data was collected, but also a strong indication of the quality of external support and direction given to the schools by the local authority.
Ofsted believes the inspections will offer 'a powerful snapshot' of how well schools are doing in Norfolk, and whether situation is improving, and a strong indication of the quality of external support and direction given to the schools by Nofolk County Council.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 7 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 10 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base