Elephants pack their trunks and explore Norwich ahead of parade
- Credit: submitted
Some colourful characters have packed their trunks and been heading out to explore our fine city.
Decorated elephants Lilly Pepper and Party Garden took a trip to Mousehold Heath, Norwich City Football Club, the Castle Museum and Norwich Cathedral ahead of taking their places in the Elephant Parade that will be at city shopping centre intu Chapelfield in April as part of a national tour.
A herd of 30 large elephants - as well as baby elephants that have been created by Norfolk school pupils - will be on display at the mall for four weeks from April 7.
Since 2007 there have been 14 Elephant Parades around the world, and the art exhibitions of decorated elephant statues seek to raise public awareness and support for Asian elephant conservation. This year's national tour includes contributions from artists as well as Alex Jones, from BBC's The One Show, and model Claudia Schiffer.
Sheridan Smith, marketing manager at intu Chapelfield, said: 'We're extremely excited to welcome Elephant Parade to Norwich. 'The parade enlivens, energises and stimulates the places it visits and offers something for everyone. In giving children and teenagers from right across Norfolk the opportunity to create elephants that will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the designs of top artists, we hope to showcase tomorrow's talent today.'
You may also want to watch:
Mike Spits, co-founder of Elephant Parade, said: 'From the outset a key objective of the Elephant Parade national tour was to move beyond just fund raising for conservation and focus more attention on raising deep and lasting awareness of the issues. 'In the months ahead dozens of schools will be invited to create an elephant, which will join their local leg of the tour.'
Over the Easter school holidays, intu Chapelfield will be celebrating the Elephant Parade's visit with a range of free elephant-themed activities.
- 1 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 2 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 7 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 8 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 9 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 10 Inside the police operation that has led to 3000 arrests in Norfolk
As well as enjoying parade visitors will be able to create their own 'Natural Norfolk' elephant designs, take part in an Eye Spy elephant trail and join in with elephant arts and crafts on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
The Elephant Parade Shop will also run workshops where shoppers can buy and paint their own mini elephant in store.
Across the world 14 Elephant Parades have taken place or are in preparation - Rotterdam 2007, Antwerp 2008, Amsterdam 2009, Emmen 2010, London 2010, Bergen 2010, Heerlen 2011, Copenhagen 2011, Milan 2011, Singapore 2011, Hasselt 2012, Southern California 2013, Luxembourg 2013 and the UK tour 2013/2014.
The 2013/14 national Elephant Parade tour is being presented by intu which is intu Chapelfield's parent company.
The Elephant Parade supports international conservation charity The Asian Elephant Foundation.
• Visit http://intuelephantparade.co.uk/
• Do you have a story about an art project in Norwich? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com