Cross country course at Holt tackled by 600 youngsters
- Credit: Archant
A record 600-plus children competed in an annual cross country championships hosted by Gresham's School at Holt.
The eighth running of the event attracted 31 schools, predominately primary schools, from across Norfolk taking part in four races for under nine and under 11 boys and girls.
The course took them over some of Gresham's rugby fields and through the woods where they all emerged in the hope of securing a good finishing time for their schools.
Event organisers, Richard Brearley, deputy headmaster of the prep school, said: 'I am delighted to see so many schools competing. This year saw a record entry of 636 competitors.
'Everyone completed the course which is impressive and says a lot about the determination and enthusiasm of the children competing. There were some fine individual performances by a number of runners and all are to be congratulated on their efforts.'
You may also want to watch:
The outstanding performance on the day was by Ziggy Lampton from Colchester High School who won the under 11 boys' race in a new record time of six minutes.
Sports development director for Gresham's, Steve Adams said the school was committed to providing access to its facilities through a variety of initiatives which have also included the setting-up of a Tennis Club in Holt, activity camps and various sporting events held throughout the year.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 3 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 4 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 5 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
- 10 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
U11 Boys – 1, Gresham's Prep School; 2, Corpusty Primary School; 3 Sheringham Primary School.
U11 Girls - 1, Norwich High School; 2, Sheringham Primary School; 3, Gresham's Prep School.
U9 Boys - 1, Gresham's Prep and Pre-Prep Schools; 2, Sheringham Primary School;
3, Fairstead House School.
U9 Girls - 1, Norwich High School; 2, Gresham's Prep and Pre-Prep Schools; 3, Corpusty Primary School.
U9 Boys - 1, Tom Ellis, Great Dunham Primary School; 2, Innes O'Malley, Astley Primary School; 3, William Cator, Notre Dame Prep School.
U9 Girls - 1, Ella Spear, The Free School, Norwich; 2, Iris Harmer, Dersingham St. George's; 3, Lexie Smith, Sheringham Primary School.
U11 Boys - 1, Ziggy Lampton, Colchester High (new record); 2, Findlay Spear, The Free School, Norwich; 3, Matthew Waller, Corpusty Primary School.
U11 Girls - 1, Grace Forster, The Old School Henstead; 2, Eve Harmer, Dersingham St. George's; 3, Rosie Booth, Dersingham St. George's.