Fifty pupils sent home as child has coronavirus
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A group of 50 children at a Lowestoft-area primary academy are being kept off school after a pupil tested positive for coronavirus.
Kessingland Church of England Primary Academy – part of the Diocese of Norwich Education and Academies Trust – said there has been one confirmed case of Covid-19 within the school, with two year groups affected.
It affects years five and six at the school in Field Lane, Kessingland, but with the teaching bubble including pupils in both year groups, it means that 50 children are having to self isolate.
Oliver Burwood, chief executive of the Diocese of Norwich Education and Academies Trust, said: “We can confirm that a child at Kessingland Church of England Primary Academy tested positive for the COVID-19 virus over the weekend.
“Their parents had tested positive last week and isolated the household.
You may also want to watch:
“We immediately acted in the best interests of the whole school community by isolating everyone that the pupil came into close contact with whilst in school recently.”
While the year five and year six pupils must stay at home and self isolate, children in nursery, reception and years one to four are attending school and continuing their education as normal.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 5 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 10 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
Meanwhile, the year five and year six pupils in self isolation have been assigned home learning work.
Mr Burwood added: “The bubbles comprise a group of 50 children – 24 in year six and 26 in year five.
“The isolated group’s parents have been contacted and they have been asked to self-isolate at home for 14 days and to get tested if they should have any symptoms.
“Arrangements for home learning are in place to ensure children sent home can continue to access the curriculum.
“The school remains open to all other students and we continue to follow strict social distancing, cleaning and hygiene protocols and advice, as directed by Public Health England.”
The school’s headteacher Adrian Crossland had informed the year five and year six parents on Monday morning (October 5), after the case in the bubble had been confirmed.