British fencer inspires Norfolk Fencing Club
Norwich fencers were this week inspired to take their sport to the next level when they were given some tips by a top British fencer.
Tom Bennett, below, who represents England in the men's epee, hosted a masterclass with members of the Norfolk Fencing at the Sportspark at the University of East Anglia.
The event saw the 25-year-old from Windsor give members practical advice, show them his warm-up moves and tell them about his fencing career to date.
Mr Bennett, who has just missed out on being selected for this year's Olympic Games but is hoping to win a discretionary place, said: 'Lots of clubs don't get the chance to see fencers who are competing at national level. If I can correct something or make a difference in some way then that's a good thing.
'I think this year's Olympics will help raise the profile of the sport. Fencing is the most fun to get interactive with and it's one of the most complete sports – it is both physical and mental.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Bennett's visit was organised by the Holiday Inn Norwich North, and before he headed to the Sportspark, he gave his support to people taking part in the Sport Relief Mile at the hotel's gym.
Tony Rose, from Norfolk Fencing Club, said: 'It's been an excellent opportunity: we don't normally get to compete with someone like Tom at this level.'
- 1 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 2 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 3 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 4 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 5 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 6 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 7 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 8 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
Have you got an Olympics story? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don't miss our next London Calling supplement in the Evening News on Tuesday.