Audio: Gresham’s Prep School student named finalist in Young Songwriter 2014 competition
- Credit: Archant
A talented student from a north Norfolk school has been named as a finalist in national song writing competition.
Romy Sipek, a year eight pupil at Gresham's Prep School, Holt, has had her song Devil from Above shortlisted as one of 10 finalists in the seven to 12-year-old category of the Young Songwriter Competition 2014.
Miss Sipek, who wrote her first song when she was 10 years old, will perform the song with a professional band at the Song Academy showcase in London in June.
She has so far written six songs and is currently working on her seventh. Inspired by electronic chart music and Taylor Swift, she said: 'It's always been a dream of mine to be a songwriter. I didn't expect to make the final but now I have, I'm very excited'.
The national competition, which is now in its third year, is a platform for aspiring young songwriters to have their songs heard by industry professionals, with an opportunity to release their own single.
You may also want to watch:
The school's director of music, Nathan Waring, said: 'Romy has shown considerable flair as a singer/songwriter since her early days at Gresham's Pre-Prep. She regularly performs her own music, accompanying herself on the piano or guitar in school concerts and I'm thrilled that she has now achieved some national recognition for her talent.'
The judging panel, which includes songwriters Jamie Scott, Debbie Wiseman, Rob Davis and producers Lyn Goddard and Denzyl Feigelson, will choose the winner of the competition on May 12. They will then get the chance to record their song at a London recording studio.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 5 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 Wartime spirit fills north Norfolk as 1940s weekend returns
- 10 Parts of Norfolk at risk of heavy downpours
Eg White, a British musician, songwriter and producer, who is best known for his work with artists Duffy and Adele, added: 'Normally upon listening to the results of a song writing competition, what comes across is how the competitors are trying to write commercial sounding music or impress with their cleverness or catchiness, but listening to these songs, I just really enjoyed the music, and could actually feel the people behind the songs, which has to be pretty close to the whole point of writing.'