Acclaimed education writer ED Hirsch to speak at the Hewett Academy in Norwich next week
- Credit: Archant
An internationally acclaimed educational thinker and writer from USA has chosen Norfolk as one of three areas in the UK to hold a talk.
Dr Eric Hirsch, a leading figure in American education for more than 30 years, will give a rare public lecture at the Hewett Academy, Norwich.
Rachel de Souza, the chief executive of the Inspiration Trust which runs the academy, said: 'We are delighted that we have been able to convince Dr Hirsch to come to Britain, and in particular to talk to teachers and the education community in Norfolk.
'We know that his ideas are controversial to some, but Norfolk has always had a radical edge and we think it is absolutely right to have that debate and look at the widest range of approaches to how we give our young people the best start in life.'
Dr Hirsch will only speak in London and Cambridge, as well as Norwich, during his trip to the UK.
You may also want to watch:
He rose to fame in 1987 after publishing his best-selling book 'Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs To Know'.
Former education secretary Michael Gove has said he has been impressed by the American's ideas.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 4 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 5 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 6 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 9 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 10 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
Dr Hirsch argues that schools should teach a highliy specific curriculum that allows children to understand things writers and speakers take for granted, and fully participate in democratic life.
The lecture at the Hewett Academy, entitled Individualism in Primary Education, will take place at the academy's Walter Roy Theatre on Thursday (September 24) at 6pm.
Entry is free but by ticket only.
Visit the 'latest news' section at www.inspirationtrust.org to reserve a ticket.