Eaton supermarket holds Cystic Fibrosis Trust fundraising day in memory of charity champion William Bradley
The amazing achievements of a charity champion have been remembered during a fundraising day at a Norwich supermarket.
William Bradley, who died this month, single-handedly raised �152,420 for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust by standing outside supermarkets, garden centres and DIY stores with his collection buckets in all weathers. Mr Bradley, who was 86 and lived at Furze Road, Thorpe St Andrew, was a well-known face across the county, and a special fundraising event in his memory was held at Waitrose in Eaton yesterday. Cystic Fibrosis Trust volunteers were at the store with collection tins all day, while the store's staff, known as partners, got involved in an array of fundraising activities.
Mr Bradley's grandson Carl Bradley said his grandfather would have been 'so pleased and proud'.
Carl said: 'It is really nice of Waitrose to do something like this for grandad because he has done so much for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and he is so well known in Norfolk. It is nice that he is still being remembered. I would like to thank the trust, all of the supermarkets and stores, and the Evening News who have supported grandad over the years. It was greatly appreciated by grandad and the whole family.'
The fundraising activities for partners yesterday included a home-made cake sale, a book sale, and competitions. Profits from the partners' dining room yesterday were also added to the fundraising pot.
Mark Fulcher, Waitrose Norwich branch manager, said: 'Mr Bradley's achievements were inspirational and we were so sorry to hear the very sad news. We hope our own fundraising efforts will celebrate his work and benefit a cause he contributed so much to.'
Mr Bradley's funeral is to take place at St Faith's Crematorium on Thursday, March 1 at 4.15pm.
- 1 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 2 Murder inquiry launched after teenager stabbed to death in Norwich
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 5 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 6 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 7 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 8 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
- 9 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 10 Norfolk to appear in TV show about world's most scenic rivers
Are you involved in a special fundraising event for charity? Call Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email email@example.com