Earlham man Danny’s new act pays tribute to the late Big O
- Credit: Archant
A local man is launching a tribute act he feels the region has been 'Crying' out for.
Danny Reno, of Earlham, has channelled his inner rock'n'roll star, by setting up a tribute act to the late Roy Orbison, the singer whose hits include Oh, Pretty Woman and Only the Lonely (Know The Way I Feel).
The 34-year-old, who has been singing for more than 16 years, is preparing for his very first show Visions of Roy Orbison in his new guise, having seen an overwhelming reaction to the Orbison songs he has performed in the past.
Mr Reno said: 'I used to sing a mixture of rock'n'roll artists, but people who see me always tell me how much I sound like Roy Orbison and that I should sing more of his songs, so that is where this idea came from.'
The singer, who also plays lead guitar in the show, is hoping his show in Norwich on February 5 will prove to be a launchpad for a career of paying tribute to 'The Big O'.
He said: 'I have lots of goals for the act, but the thing I would love the most would be to be able to tour the United States singing Roy Orbison songs.
'His songs tell such stories in their lyrics and are timeless. They still get used on television and in films, and I still see dance floors filling up when Oh, Pretty Woman comes on.'
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 3 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 4 7 pubs up for sale or rent in Norfolk
- 5 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 6 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 7 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 8 Blackpool player cites Norfolk footballer as inspiration after coming out
- 9 Teenager suffers serious injuries in city crash
- 10 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
Mr Reno has began working with events promotor Andy Sexton, who has helped him book concerts in Norwich and Great Yarmouth.
Mr Sexton said: 'When Danny first approached me about promoting his shows, I was a little sceptical. However, as soon as I saw him perform, I was blown away.
'There are a lot of Roy Orbison tributes around the world, but not many like him.'
Mr Reno's singing has already received high praise; after seeing him perform, Elvis Presley impersonator Travis Ledoyt described him as 'the best young Roy Orbison I've ever seen'.
As well as the show at the Talk in Norwich on Friday, February 5 Mr Reno will be at St George's Theatre in Great Yarmouth on Saturday, February 20.
Tickets for the Norwich show range between £8 and £14. To book, contact 01603 660220.
Tickets for the Great Yarmouth show are £15 for adults and £15 for concessions. To book, contact 01493 331484.
Do you have a hidden talent to share in Local Life? Contact David Hannant on 01603 693892.