Driver airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after two people freed from cars following crash
- Credit: James Bass
A driver has been airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after a two car crash in Merton, near Watton.
The crash, on a rural road off Watton Road near the village, happened at around 11am on Friday.
Two people in two separate vehicles were trapped and had to be freed by firefighters using hydraulic rescue equipment.
Three people were injured in the crash, with one of the drivers airlifted by air ambulance to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge with what police said were 'serious head injuries'.
The cars involved were a silver Vauxhall Astra and a grey Audi A6.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said: 'We were called at 11.12am to reports of a two vehicle road traffic collision which had blocked the road.
'We are still on scene but the road is still closed and we are waiting for recovery of the vehicles.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 6 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 7 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 8 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 9 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 10 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
A spokesman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue said: 'Appliances from Watton and Thetford attended a road traffic collision in Merton. Two people were trapped in two separate vehicles.
'The crews released the casualties using enhanced hydraulic rescue equipment. Vehicle stability and scene safety were also carried out. The Air Ambulance was also in attendance.'
The East of England Ambulance service said: 'Two ambulances, two rapid response vehicles and the East of England Air Ambulance were called to Watton Road, Merton shortly after 1.30pm on Friday following reports of a road traffic collision.
'Two patients were assessed at the scene and one was transported to hospital by air ambulance with serious head injuries.'