Downpours fail to dampen high spirits at Wymondham charity football match
- Credit: Archant
Downpours failed to dampen Wymondham's charitable spirit at a fundraising football match for a local cause.
More than £1,500 was raised for cancer charity Star Throwers, which is based in the town, at Les King's charity match on Friday, an annual event which this year marked Mr King's 81st birthday.
Crowds braved the pouring rain to watch teams captained by Leo Parke and Mick Money go head to head, a battle which saw Mr Parke's team crowned victorious with a score line of 6-4.
Mr King, who is patron of Star Throwers, said the teams, made up of former Wymondham Town Football Club players, showed how 'football should be played'.
He thanked WTFC for their support in getting the match up and running and said: 'This is my fourth charity football match and in heavy rain many people enjoyed a very good game.
'It really showed how much the people of Wymondham support Star Throwers to turn out in the horrible weather to get cold and wet.
'Over 40 past Wymondham Town players, all who had done well in local football, kindly made a donation to play. Hopefully this latest event will help to give the club support and encouragement for the coming season.'
- 1 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 2 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 3 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 6 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 7 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 8 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise
- 9 Bid for superbike warehouse bringing up to 30 new jobs
- 10 No queues at walk-in vaccine centre
More than £600 was raised from match day booklets produced ahead of Friday, which told the story of Mr King's years living in Wymondham, while £300 was donated by Ivan Stubbings of match sponsors ID Sweepers.
It brought the total raised to just over £1,500.
A spokesperson for Star Throwers said: 'It was fantastic the amount of people that turned out considering the wet weather. We cannot thank everyone involved in the event enough for their generosity and support. Special thanks to our Patron Les King.'
Mr King thanked the team captains, players, sponsors and all those involved in putting the day together.
Star Throwers supports support cancer sufferers and their families. Visit www.starthrowers.org.uk or call 01953 423304 if you are affected by cancer.
Are you holding an event in Wymondham we should be writing about? Email reporter Lauren Cope on email@example.com