Biggest water festival in region returns this weekend
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A host of dragon-inspired boats will be roaring down a river once again at the Downham Market Water Festival tomorrow [Sunday].
Returning for its 12th year, the popular festival will take place at the Hythe Bridge on the banks of the Great Ouse Relief Channel.
It is one of the biggest events of the year in West Norfolk, and will see thousands of people flock to the riverside to watch the Dragon Boat race.
Up to 10 people paddle each boat with a drummer beating a rhythm with each row and a helm at the tail steering a straight course.
Last year's winners were Cirrhosis of the River, representing the East of England Ambulance Service.
You may also want to watch:
The day will be packed with family fun entertainment from 10am until 5pm, including a variety of stalls, a fun fair and dance performances.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 7 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old