Donald Trump’s election as US president could be an opportunity for Britain, says Waveney MP Peter Aldous
- Credit: PA
Donald Trump's election as US president could create an opportunity to work with 'Brexit' Britain, Waveney's MP has said.
However, Peter Aldous said that while 'with Brexit there may be an opportunity for free trade deals' with the president-elect, he added: 'A lot of what he was saying during the campaign was protectionist in outlook.
'Largely speaking, that isn't good for the world.'
The president-elect's win in the American general election on Tuesday (November 8) has shocked many around the world.
Mr Aldous admitted at today's (Friday, November 11) Lowestoft and Waveney Chamber of Commerce networking breakfast: 'I didn't see it coming.
'Now it's happened, my perspective is we've got to get on with it.'
Former prime minister David Cameron publicly criticised Mr Trump earlier in the year over some of his comments during the Republican primary, many of which were seen as racist.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 5 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 8 'Horrendous' - Norfolk couple stuck in South Africa as Omicron spreads
- 9 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 10 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
However current prime minister Theresa May has not criticised the new US president.
'With Theresa May as prime minister there's a clean slate and we need to build on that,' Mr Aldous said.