Diss pupil wins prize for her water smart art
With hosepipe bans in place and people being urged to be smarter about how they use water, a Norfolk school is celebrating after a poster about saving water, designed by one of its pupils, was a winner in an art competition.
Year 3 pupil Lucie O'Brien, of Diss Junior School, won �100 for a school environmental project with her colourful poster and a �25 book voucher for herself.
Teacher Debbie Caley said: 'We enjoyed sitting down as a class to think about how we can save water at home, school or work by making a few small changes.
'We are delighted that Lucie produced a winning design, and are exploring options for spending the money – suggestions such as wildlife areas have been highly popular.'
Lucie and her classmates took part in the Let's All Save Water art competition run by drainage products stockist JDP, which has a branch on the Brome Industrial Estate, near Eye, and Anua, a clean air and clean water treatment specialist. In doing so, the eight-year-old came third in the South East heat of the competition, and her poster will feature in JDP's 2013 customer calendar.
Christopher White, JDP's regional manager, said: 'Lucie's entry really stood out – it had a clear message, was colourful and really well presented. She'd obviously put a lot of time and effort into it.'
More than 30 schools took part in the communities of JDP's South East branches. Aimed at seven and eight-year-olds, the challenge was to produce a poster to highlight the importance of saving water and educate the next generation in what they can do to conserve it.
- 1 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 2 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 3 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 4 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 5 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 6 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 7 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 9 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 10 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk