Diss Corn Hall celebrates funding boost
- Credit: Archant
A major refurbishment and improvement project involving the main arts venue in Diss has received a £80,000 funding boost.
Diss Corn Hall has been handed £75,000 from Arts Council England towards fitting out the 162-year-old building, which saw the renovation work start in January when contractor Pentaco was given the keys.
In another boost the British Film Institute has given £5,000 to pay for cinema equipment for a screen in the hall's Waveney Room.
This will let the Corn Hall develop its daytime film programme to cater to those who find it difficult to get out in the evenings, such as the elderly and young mothers
Angela Sykes, Corn Hall director, said: 'This news is a tremendous vote of confidence in our work and absolutely vital to ensure that we will be able to have all the kit we need in place when we reopen.'
The venue is due to reopen in early 2017.
Discoveries during the work include a horse manure pit, dating from the time when the Old Stables area was used for its original purpose, and a maze of Victorian sewers.
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 5 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 8 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 9 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 10 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
The work will give the venue a foyer with an enlarged box office and gallery leading to a new bar and café.
The upper floor of the extension will have toilets, a performer's dressing room, a learning zone with exhibition space and an office. The work is part of the £3m Heritage Triangle project.
Have you got a Diss story? Email email@example.com