Diamond day for a Great Yarmouth couple
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
A couple who lived in Great Yarmouth their whole lives have recently celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
Norman, 80 and Colleen, Fellgett, have known each other for 69 years having both attended the Technical High School - now known as Ormiston Venture Academy.
But it wasn't until six years when friendship blossomed into romance.
Norman said: 'We first when we were about 11 years old met at the Technical High School, now known as the Ormiston Venture Academy.
'We did not get together though until the summer of about 1954 at the Winter Gardens roller skating rink, when Norman worked in the summer skating show.
You may also want to watch:
'Things went very smoothly after that and I went with her to ask her dad for his permission to marry her. At first he said he was busy watching the television but he did give me permission in the end that night.'
The pair married at St Peters Church in Great Yarmouth on June 7, 1956, and have since gone on to have two children, Christine and Mark, and one grandson called James.
- 1 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
Mr Fellgett did his two years national service in the Royal Air Force based at RAF Cranwell, working in air traffic control.
He then started working as a ship's joiner at Brooke Marine, Oulton Broad, but after studying building, worked at Erie Resistor as works service manager for about 14 years.
Mrs Fellgett started out as a secretary for the then Schools' Architect on Euston Road, until the pair had their eldest child, Christine.
After that they purchased a guest house on York Road, which they ran until 2000 when they both retired.
Mr Fellgett said: 'We both had very similar interests and were involved in lots of groups.
'We were both Sunday School teachers at Peter's Church, and are today active members of St Paul's Church in Newtown.
'We are both members of the Great Yarmouth and District Branch of the RAF through my stint in the national service.
'I am also a member of the Great Yarmouth Probus Club while Colleen helps at a luncehon club for the elderly at Ormesby once a week and is also a member of the St Nicholas Handbell Ringers.
'We enjoy spending our time together and when we get a chance like to have a holiday cottage in England somewhere.'
The pair celebrated their anniversary on June 12 with a small gathering at the Filby Bridge Restaurant.