Diabetic driver banned for three years for causing three crashes in one day around King’s Lynn

A driver put a cyclist in a wheelchair and a moped rider in hospital when he caused three crashes in one day, a court heard yesterday.

Trevor Kisby was said to have suffered from high blood sugar levels – hyperglycemia – when he had the three accidents on March 22 last year in, first, his Skoda Favorit and, later, his Mercedes lorry.

At Norwich Crown Court the 38-year-old, of Nelson Street, King's Lynn, admitted three counts of dangerous driving and was banned from the roads for three years.

Kisby, who the court heard had suffered from diabetes since he was three, left home for his mother's house to have breakfast.

But on London Road at 11.30am, outside funeral directors AJ Coggles, he drove into the back of a scooter which was stopped at roadworks.

The driver was thrown off, fracturing his elbow and spraining his wrists.

He was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital but Kisby continued on his way, seemingly unaware of the accident.

Most Read

One witness told the court: 'The driver didn't react. He continued to look ahead as if he was totally unaware he had hit anything.'

He swapped his car for the truck at his mother's house and at 2.15pm at Clenchwarton he drove into a 49-year-old man on a bicycle.

Robert Warner, prosecuting, said the cyclist, who suffered from arthritis, had 'life-changing' injuries after Kisby drove over him near his home.

The man on the electric bicycle had a fractured pelvis and damaged bladder. He also lost three teeth. The court heard he had to drink through a straw and needed a wheelchair following the incident.

Witnesses said Kisby was swerving in the road and stopped after the accident before driving on again.

That evening at 7.15 Kisby, still in his truck, drove into a parked Ford Transit van on Wootton Road outside a Chinese takeaway and came to a halt.

He was arrested and, when quizzed by police, Kisby said he had woken up late for work that day and went to his mother's house for breakfast.

He said the medication for his diabetes which had been changed three months beforehand was to blame.

Will Carter, mitigating, said: 'Something that day was very much amiss. He simply is not the sort of man to see an accident occur and ignore it.'

Mr Carter also said it was Kisby's first day back at work for a while and, along with the medicine change, there was 'something of a perfect storm' which led to the accidents.

He said Kisby was 'acting at a very low level of awareness'.

Two doctors' reports to the court concluded that he had probably suffered from hyperglycemia.

Judge Alasdair Darroch told Kisby: 'This is an extraordinary set of circumstances. There is nothing in your background to suggest you are an irresponsible person.'

He ordered Kisby to complete 120 hours of unpaid work.


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter