Dereham school badminton team shines at regional finals
- Credit: Neatherd High School
Young badminton players from Neatherd High School in Dereham are celebrating a silver lining to their first year of competitive play.
The Neatherd Key Stage 3 girls represented Norfolk in Badminton England's schools regional finals and came away with silver medals.
After previously winning the county finals, the team consisting of Jasmine, Evie, Katherine, Jess and Abbey, breezed past Cambridgeshire (Comberton School) 5-0 and then beat Bedfordshire (Cedars School) 4-1.
This took them to a tough final against Essex (Chelmsford High School), an exceptional team with two players on the national circuit, one of which is ranked within the top 100 female players in England.
Despite a spirited fight in all of their games, they lost 5-0.
You may also want to watch:
Coach Faye Le Bon said: 'The Neatherd badminton club has only been running since September so this is a great achievement for a fledgling team.'
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 5 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 7 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 8 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 9 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
- 10 Iconic seafront property sold as developer donates £50,000 to lifeboats