Dereham restaurant fire
A fire in the centre of Dereham brought part of the town to a standstill today .Firefighters were called to a blaze caused by a ground-floor kitchen fire in the building of Thai restaurant Cho'k Dee, in Quebec Street, just after 1.
A fire in the centre of Dereham brought part of the town to a standstill today .
Firefighters were called to a blaze caused by a ground-floor kitchen fire in the building of Thai restaurant Cho'k Dee, in Quebec Street, just after 1.30pm.
Police cordoned off the street for part of the afternoon as firefighters tackled the blaze.
It had started when Phanom Phukjit, 35, was cooking in the kitchen and the wok he was using caught fire.
Mr Phukjit, who suffered a minor hand injury, had been with his two nieces at the time.
He described the fire as being like an “explosion” and said “It was very big and it happened very quickly.”
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 3 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 4 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 5 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 6 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 7 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 10 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
“My heart jumped and I was scared,” he added.
He managed to put the fire out but not before the flames were sucked up by the extractor fan causing the flames to spread upwards and set fire to the rafters.
Crew manager Andy Scarlett said it took firefighters about 15 minutes to put out the fire in the roof and nobody was hurt.
Three fire crews attended along with police and ambulance.