Dereham pub’s World Cup grandstand features on ITV’s This Morning
- Credit: ITV
The landlord of a pub in Dereham continues to attract interest from the world's media after erecting a grandstand for supporters to watch the World Cup finals.
Landlord of the Railway Tavern on Yaxham Road, Paul Sandford, appeared live on ITV's This Morning programme today, to talk to presenters Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby about how fanatical he and the football-loving Dereham community were,
The pub, which has changed its name to the English Tavern for the duration of the tournament, invited locals to come down and be part of the live broadcast which aired at around 10:35am.
Mr Sandford is getting used to the media spotlight after dozens of requests from broadcasters in recent weeks.
He said: 'It's mind-boggling to be honest. The media attention is absolutely overwhelming. We've had two film crews from America, various different British ones, Sky Sports have been here for both the England games and now we're going live on ITV.'
You may also want to watch:
The broadcast was part of ITV's build up to their live coverage of England's fixture with Belgium tonight - Gareth Southgate's side's final World Cup group game.
Tommy Taylor, from NAP scaffolding who erected the grandstand, was there to check everything over.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 4 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 5 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 6 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 10 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
He said: 'My passion is football, so I was more than happy to come down and put this up for Paul. We inspect the scaffolding after every game, as obviously quite a few people get on there, health and safety is important, I'm pleased to say everything has been absolutely fine'.
Daniel Sayer came along with his son Joel to watch the live broadcast.
He said: 'The pub has a great community spirit. It has gone all out, not many places make this kind of effort. It's great to see all the English flags out.'
Darren Money, from Dereham, has been working as security during the football screenings at the Railway Tavern.
He said: 'The atmosphere has been absolutely amazing during the games, I've never seen anything like it. Everyone was well behaved, really cheery, full of songs, laughter, just brilliant'.
Myles Cooper from Dereham has seen both England games at the pub.
He said: 'Hopefully it will show that when pubs make the effort, there is still a great deal of interest from the local community'.