Dereham pupils celebrate with their own Royal Wedding
Pupils at Dereham Church Infant School and Nursery got into the Royal Wedding spirit yesterday when they held their own mock ceremony at St Nicholas Church.
Headteacher Karen Gay picked the leading roles by drawing names out of a hat with Prince William and Kate Middleton played by Reegan Onslow-Clarke and Alicia Hardingham.
Other members of the Royal Family included Monty Cheetham as Prince Harry, Elin Collins as the Queen and Zak Collins-Iddi as Prince Charles.
The wedding party and congregation all dressed the part in pretty dresses, shirts and ties and many made their own hats and costumes for the occasion.
A number of proud parents, many waving Union Jack flags, turned out to watch as they proceeded to St Nicholas Church.
The service taken by Rev Sally Theakston, who even managed to lay on an organist, and the children sang songs, gave readings and watched as the couple made their vows and even signed the register.
Mrs Gay said: 'The children were all incredibly excited. We decided that because there were only three days of school this week, it would be dedicated to the wedding and give the children a real understanding of what it is all about.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 6 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 7 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 10 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
'I can remember Charles and Diana's wedding and we thought it was important for the children to be part of this event on Friday and take more interest in it.
'They have been looking at wedding dresses this week as well and designing their own so I am sure they will be very keen to see what Kate is wearing on the day
The bride and groom were showered with confetti as they arrived back at school, where a playground party was waiting for them with a wedding buffet specially prepared by school cook Lisa Playford.
A tiara and crown competition was also held and all the children went home with a commemorative mug.