Delia Smith approves of young fan’s new Norwich City kit designs
When seven-year-old William Jarvis designed new kits for his beloved Norwich City to wear next season, he decided to send his ideas to the club - and received a handwritten reply from Delia Smith.
He never expected to hear back about his distinctive designs – which even included a reworking of the classic Canaries badge – but was stunned to receive a handwritten letter in reply from joint majority shareholder Mrs Smith herself.
Ms Smith commended William on his sketched ideas for the home, away and goalkeepers' kits, and said she had passed them on to colleagues at the club.
'Thank you so much for your beautiful designs,' she wrote. 'You really do have a great gift so one day you might become an artist or designer. I have passed them to Stephen Balmer-Walters who is in charge of our shop.'
The note is signed off 'OTBC'
William, of Suffield Way, in King's Lynn, said: 'They are cool new designs that I had thought of for next season. I've made loads of different designs but I only sent a few of my favourites to the club. My designs have more detail and slightly different colours, which are much brighter.'
He said he enjoyed drawing football badges, and from there developed to designing new kits.
- 1 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 2 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 3 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 4 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 5 Dog and group cut off by tide saved after being spotted waist-high in water
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 8 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 9 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 10 Lowestoft's new beach huts hit the market at £30,000 each
His proposed home kit shares some similarities with the current 'half and half' design, with echoes of the well-remembered Asics kit, from 1989-1992 – long before William was born.
His mother Pamela said: 'It was so lovely for Delia Smith to take the time to write back to William. It made our Canary-mad boy's day – his face was a picture when he received it.'
Have you written to a celebrity and received a reply? Email firstname.lastname@example.org