Delays to be halved at notorious level crossing in Oulton Broad
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Improvements to reduce lengthy delays and ease frustration for motorists at a notorious level crossing have been completed.
Oulton Broad North railway station level crossing has caused congestion for many years, but now improvements are set to reduce vehicle waiting times by more than half- according to the partnership behind the improvements.
After nine months of work, the signal has been moved 50m down the platform, meaning the barriers do not need to be lowered until the train is ready to leave the station.
Representatives from the partnership scheme, including Network Rail, Suffolk County Council, Waveney District Council, Abellio Greater Anglia and Lowestoft and Waveney Chamber of Commerce, gathered on Monday as the signal was put into operation.
Waveney MP Peter Aldous said: 'This has been a major bottleneck and a major source of congestion, so this sends out a positive message to businesses who want to move and expand here.'
You may also want to watch:
Improvements will see waiting times for motorists at the crossing reduced from an average of four minutes to one and a half minutes- when trains are travelling from Lowestoft to Norwich.
James Reeder, board member of Lowestoft and Waveney Chamber of Commerce, said: 'This will benefit businesses with receiving deliveries quicker, as well as the blue light services and if we can help them achieve their target times it will certainly benefit everybody. '
- 1 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 5 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 6 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 7 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 8 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 9 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 10 Firefighters tackle 'deliberate' house fire