Chaos and gridlock on the A47 as police sergeant ‘flabbergasted’ at rubber-necking motorists taking photos
- Credit: Chris Harris
Traffic was blocked on Norfolk roads this morning due to crashes and another vehicle shedding its load.
Delays of around an hour and quarter were expected, also due to a crash at the Postwick junction.
A police spokesman said officers were called at 7.18am to a crash involving four vehicles near the Postwick junction.
The sliproad Dereham-bound has had to close, and one person has minor injuries.
The spokesman said there were 'long tailbacks and delays' while police waited for recovery, and traffic was being diverted via the Broadland Business Park.
Sergeant Chris Harris, from Norfolk and Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing Team, said: 'Been dealing with a 4 vehicle minor injury collision. Norfolk and Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing Team have worked tirelessly to get lane one open whilst we wait for recovery and Highways.
'Flabbergasted to see a passing driver taking photos as they drove past the RTC. Not only is this against the law, dangerous and puts [officers] at risk, it's also very disrespectful to all those involved. You will be reported.'
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 3 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 4 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 5 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 6 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 7 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 8 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 9 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 10 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
The road reopened shortly after 9am.
Norfolk police also said there were delays on A47 between A146 and A140 westbound due to a shed load.
The road is partially open, with one lane blocked, but police asked motorists to avoid the area if possible while recovery takes place.
The police tweeted: 'Delays in the area whilst the backlog of traffic clears.'
The A47 was also partially blocked heading towards Norwich on the A47 near Hockering.
Police were called at 8.30am this morning to a two vehicle collision between a silver van and a black Mercedes.
No injuries were suffered and recovery attended the scene. The road was cleared by around 9:45am.
A car had also left the A47 and gone onto the verge between Longwater and Easton, Dereham-bound, with police directing traffic.