Decision on controversial East Anglian Way homes plan in Gorleston deferred pending site visit
- Credit: James Bass
The wait for a resolution to a planning application which would see 71 new homes built off a Gorleston cul-de-sac will continue, after councillors deferred their decision.
The future of the land off East Anglian Way in the town has been up in the air for some time, with Badger Building the latest company looking to redevelop the land.
The company first lodged its plans in March 2016, with its latest application hoping to add 71 homes to the land, which had raised concerns about traffic volume.
It was due for a decision on Wednesday, September 13, however, Great Yarmouth Borough Council's development control committee instead deferred this to a later date.
The future of the application will now be brought back before the councillors, once they completed a site visit to assess issues raised.
You may also want to watch:
Ron Hanton, vice chairman of the committee, said: 'Concerns had been raised about the number of houses and that the road would have traffic problems, so the members want to go and have a look at that.'
It remains to be seen when the site visit will be, meaning it is yet to be confirmed when the application's future will be settled.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 9 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
The 3.8 hectares of land was formally allotments and was allocated for housing as part of the 2001 local plan, and backs onto the A47 Gorleston bypass.
The bid was greeted with nearly a dozen neighbour objections, with many relating to the volume of traffic it could create.
The development proposes a singular access point off of East Anglian Way.
One comment, from Joseph Santon of Church Lane, said: 'The additional vehicles using Church Lane because of the development will increase the risks to pedestrians, cyclists and motorists in the area.
'Given the proximity of the proposed access on Church Lane, the main college vehicular entrance, there is an increased likelihood of accidents involving the users of Church Lane.'
Another, from Tracey Kelly, Christian Dimascio and family added: 'With a busy school along the entrance road and general congestion, we feel the extra traffic would be disastrous.'
Other objections relate to wildlife, though a report suggested reptiles were unlikely to be found there.