Youth in Chapelfield Gardens attack case chooses not to give evidence in defence
- Credit: Archant 2013
One of two youths on trial after a terrifying attack in Norwich's Chapelfield Gardens which left a teenager with his ear sliced in two has chosen not to give evidence in his defence.
The youth, who was 14 at the time of the incident on November 11 last year, has denied wounding with intent and having a bladed article.
A second youth, who was 17 at the time, but has now turned 18, has also denied wounding with intent and has been cleared on direction of the trial judge of having a bladed article.
Norwich Crown Court has heard how the incident left a 15-year-old boy with his ear sliced in two, needing plastic surgery after the victim was punched and kicked on the floor while an older boy, known as Timmy T, slashed the victim a number of times with a jagged bladed knife.
In his closing speech, Lindsay Cox, prosecuting, said the case showed clear evidence of 'joint enterprise' as he claimed the two youths had joined in the assault on the victim.
You may also want to watch:
'He was subjected to a brutal assault in which weapons were used and a number of people are engaged in kicking, stamping and punching.'
He added: 'That's the clearest evidence of joint enterprise.'
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 4 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 5 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 6 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
- 7 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 8 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 9 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 10 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
John Morgans, for the 18-year-old youth, told the jury the defendant had the courage to give evidence in the case and said it was not for him to prove his innocence.
He told the jury there was a danger he was getting dragged into the matter and added: 'It's such a serious allegation.'
He claimed the evidence put forward by the prosecution was 'uncertain.'
Jude Durr, for the 14 year-old told the jury: 'He's a very young lad charged with a very serious offence.'
He said it could simply be a case that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
'Simply because someone was present at an unlawful assault like this does not necessarily mean they were part of a joint enterprise. They could be in the wrong place at the wrong time. That is something you should consider here.'
He said that the youth also denied having a bladed article such as a hatchet or axe with him that day.
Judge Katharine Moore is due to sum up in the case before sending the jury out.