Teen witness of Chapelfield Gardens attack in which boy, 15, had his ear severed described it as a “little fight” court heard

Chapelfield Gardens. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

Chapelfield Gardens. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY - Credit: copyright: Archant 2014

A teen who witnessed a terrifying group attack on a 15-year-old boy in Chapelfield Gardens, which left him with his ear sliced in two, claimed it had been a 'little fight' and could not remember much about the incident.

Two youths, who were 14 and 17 at the time, are accused of being involved in the 'frightening and violent' incident, which left the victim needing plastic surgery, Norwich Crown Court has heard.

The two youths, who cannot be named for legal reasons, have denied wounding with intent and having bladed articles on November 11, last year.

Giving evidence via a video link, a 14 year-old boy who was one of the group which witnessed the incident, repeatedly answered most of the questions posed that he did not know and claimed he could not remember anything about the incident.

He also described what happened as a 'little fight.'

You may also want to watch:

However prosecutor Lindsay Cox read out to the jury an earlier statement the witness made shortly after the incident in which he had identified the two accused as being part of the group which had been involved in the attack on the 15-year-old boy.

Mr Cox said the witness had described how the victim was kicked to the floor and the group then started kicking and punching him, while another older boy, known as Timmy T, was slashing the victim a number of times with a jagged bladed knife.

Most Read

He said the victim finally managed to run away but said he had not seen the boy's injuries as he was taken away in an ambulance.

He said in his statement: 'A number of people were assaulting him and he could not protect himself.'

In the statement Mr Cox said the witness had described seeing the two youths on trial as part of the wider group which was involved.

He said in his statement the whole incident lasted about 40 minutes and said although it was dark when the fight started there was lighting in Chapelfield Gardens which meant he could clearly see what was going on and who was involved.

The trial continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter