RSPCA have had a ‘good response’ from public after sickening footage released of man punching dog in Norwich street
- Credit: Archant
The RSPCA have received a 'good response' from the public after they released sickening footage of a man punching a dog in the head in a Norwich street.
Inspectors released CCTV of the cruel incident in a bid to find the man caught on camera and to locate the dog to ensure its wellbeing.
The video shows a man walking along Jex Road, in the Marlpit area, with his dog wandering loose. He can be seen reaching down to put a lead on the collar, but before he does this he punches the dog four times.
The footage was taken just after 1.30pm on Monday.
A spokesman for the RSPCA said: 'We've had a good response from the public and we've got various information and leads that have been passed on that we will be looking into and following up.'
You may also want to watch:
RSPCA inspector Laura Sayer said: 'You can clearly see the dog being punched in the head with some considerable force, several times.
'The dog shows clear signs of fear and we are very concerned about his or her welfare.
- 1 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 2 Drivers delivering for Amazon have hundreds of pounds of pay withheld
- 3 Norwich takeaway's food poisoning complaint investigation closed
- 4 Peter Crouch drove to Yarmouth while on Norwich loan - and wasn't impressed
- 5 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 6 Woman cut from car after crash on A11
- 7 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 8 The Original Factory Shop set to open in Cromer
- 9 Tenants battled 'extreme mould' for months
- 10 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
'We urge anyone with any information about who this man might be, and where he and the poor dog might be, to let us know, in strictest confidence.'
The animal charity said it was not sure about the breed of dog, but believe it is a bull breed type with white markings on the front leg and chest.
Lucy Galvin, city councillor for Wensum ward, described the footage as 'distressing'.
'I hope that someone recognises the person and comes forward,' she said. 'That pet clearly shouldn't be with that person.
'I'd urge everyone to share it and help rescue the dog from that owner.'
People living in the Jex Road area have also spoken out about the footage.
A 53-year-old man, who did not want to be named, said: 'It's absolutely disgusting. I hope whoever did it is caught.'
Another man, who also did not want to be named, described the footage as 'shocking'.
Meanwhile the CCTV images have also been condemned online, with dozens taking to twitter.
One said 'sickened by this', while another user added: 'Someone must know him, cruel man. I hope he's prosecuted'.
Among the other messages condeming the man's actions were 'disgusting', 'hate this cruelty' and 'it has sickened me to the core'.
If you can help identify the man in the footage, or help inspectors find the dog, call the RSPCA on 0300 123 8018.