Warning: Watch out for snowdrop thieves
- Credit: Archant
Countryside lovers are being warned to watch out for snowdrop thieves.
As the first white blooms begin to emerge, police in Norfolk say "large quantities" are stolen from the wild each year.
Last year one man was jailed and another given a community order, after a court heard they dug an estimated 13,000 bulbs from Walsingham.
Sentencing the pair, the judge at Norwich Crown Court said the plants had been "stolen to order".
Snowdrop collecting has boomed in recent years, with some bulbs fetching hundreds of pounds.
You may also want to watch:
Patches in parks, grass verges and private gardens have all been targeted by thieves.
Some growers now resort to CCTV and nocturnal patrols to protect their crop.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 6 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival