Youngsters praised for reporting ‘hidden’ knives find to police
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters have been praised by police after they contacted them after finding three knives.
The three young people found the knives 'partially hidden outside a housing area' in the Heartsease area of the city on Tuesday (February 19) morning.
PC Jamie Willetts said: 'Due to the appearance they may have been there a little while.
'They were partially hidden behind some street furniture'.
He said an officer from the Norwich North Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) met with the youhts the retrieved the weapons.
You may also want to watch:
PC Willetts, who said the weapons will be destroyed, added: 'We are grateful to the youths for acting so responsibly and this goes to show that there are many helpful and well meaning young people in our fine city.'
- 1 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 8 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
Norwich Police praised the youngsters on social media this evening (Tuesday, February 19).
They tweeted: 'Well done to three local youngsters, they spotted these knives partially hidden outside a housing area. Without touching them, they contacted Police, enabling us to quickly retrieve and destroy them. #keepknivesoffourstreets #goodyoungpeople @word4weapons @OCowardsC #NNSNT #PC629.'
Recent figures show that while knife crime has risen by 47pc in Norfolk since 2010, the past year has seen a drop of around a third from 335 offences in the year ending June 2017 to 230 a year later.