Fatal house fire not treated as suspicious
- Credit: Mick Howes
A fatal house fire in Bradwell, near Great Yarmouth, is not being treated as suspicious by police.
Emergency services were called to the property on Chestnut Avenue late on Friday evening, July 9, and a man was found inside.
He was taken to hospital to be treated for serious injuries, but died the following day.
The cause of death was established as smoke inhalation and natural causes following a Home Office post mortem examination.
Neighbours described dramatic scenes on the street after they were awoken by "loud noises and flashing lights."
Glenn Turner, 49, tried three times to enter the house but was beaten back by the heat and thick smoke.
When he realised he could not save the resident, known to his neighbours as Joe, he smashed a window to enter the home next door where the 92-year-old man was asleep upstairs, his smoke alarms sounding and his bedroom rapidly filling with smoke.
You may also want to watch:
He unlocked the door from the inside and took the man to safety.
"I have never seen anything like it before," he said.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
Mr Turner suffered cuts and scratches and was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.