Did you hear the mystery loud bangs in north Norfolk?
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
A series of loud bangs has shaken up residents in towns across north Norfolk, but questions linger over the source of the noise.
Residents from Cromer, Holt and Roughton reported hearing the bangs between 3.15am and 4am today (Monday, August 5)
One resident initially feared the worst.
Rachael Verlander from Cromer said on Enjoy Cromer More's Facebook page: "Bit of a strange one but did anyone else hear what sounded like three gun shots at the top of Norwich Road last night?
"Heard the shots (very loud, definitely not a car back firing, or fireworks) then a car drive off. Me and my husband both heard it, so no I wasn't dreaming!"
You may also want to watch:
Tracey Leach said: "We heard loud bangs in Roughton at 3:50 this morning and we heard a car or maybe bike moving away too."
A spokesperson from Norfolk Police said: "We received two calls, one at 3.20am and another at 3.27am for reports of two loud bangs in the Cromer area.
- 1 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 2 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 3 Inside the police operation that has led to 3000 arrests in Norfolk
- 4 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 5 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 6 Volunteers wanted - to be locked up in a Norfolk police cell
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 8 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 9 The Norfolk waterway that is too rude for Facebook
- 10 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
"Officers went to investigate but did not find anything."
Other residents thought the noise may have been a distress signal from a boat, the Coastguard have confirmed they had no incidents in Norfolk on Monday morning.
- Did you hear the bang or can you explain what it was? Email Abigail.Nicholson@Archant.co.uk