Man stabbed in arm after friend avoided being slashed across face, court hears

File photo of Castle Meadow in Norwich.Picture: ANTONY KELLY.

File photo of Castle Meadow in Norwich.Picture: ANTONY KELLY. - Credit: Archant

A man was stabbed while his friend narrowly avoided being slashed across the face during a knife attack in Norwich, a court heard.

Munsey Varnadore, 20, and Cain Watson, 22, have gone on trial at Norwich Crown Court in connection with the incident at Castle Meadow on July 30, 2017.

The pair deny wounding Aaron Goffin with intent to cause GBH, attempting to wound Yamana Partridge with intent and possession of a knife.

Prosecutor William Carter said Mr Goffin, Mr Partridge and a third friend, Connor Gooch, had been walking towards Prince of Wales Road when the attack took place.

The court heard how the group had left The Bell Hotel in Norwich at about 11.45pm.

You may also want to watch:

Mr Carter said Varnadore, who was with another man, "quite deliberately" barged into Mr Partridge as the two groups walked towards each other.

Giving evidence, Mr Partridge, aged 20, said: "We all turned around. I said 'what are you doing?' or something along those lines.

Most Read

"The gentleman who bumped into me responded in an aggressive manner. He said 'let's have it'."

The court heard how the two groups "remonstrated" with each other while continuing towards Prince of Wales Road.

Mr Carter said as things appeared to be calming down and the groups were separating, Varnadore came towards the three friends armed with a knife.

Explaining what happened next, Mr Partridge said: "We were saying 'what are you doing, why do you have a knife?'.

"He swung the knife to my face. I pulled my head back so it didn't make contact."

Mr Partridge said he then turned around and ran.

Mr Carter said Varnadore turned his attention to Mr Goffin, who tried to punch the knife away.

He said: "In return, Mr Varnadore stabbed Mr Goffin in the left arm in the area of the bicep."

The court heard how Varnadore and Watson then ran away from the scene.

Mr Carter said: "It was pointed out to Goffin that he was bleeding badly from the wound.

"They then walked to the SOS bus [on Prince of Wales Road] and police were called."

Varnadore, of St Edmundsbury Road in Kings Lynn, and Watson, of Angel Road in Norwich, were arrested on August 28.

During a police interview Varnadore made no comment, while Watson used a prepared statement denying he had a knife at any stage.

Mr Carter said one of the witnesses believed that Watson had provided Varnadore with the knife.

The trial continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter