£1m Mercedes vans thefts conspiracy: Jury considers verdicts in trial

Luke Elfleet left a man with a broken jaw after stamping on him

An Army officer is set to face trial charged with fraudulently claiming allowances for boarding school fees. - Credit: Archant

A Norwich Crown Court jury is considering verdicts in the trial of a man accused of being part of a conspiracy to steal Mercedes vans.

Jurors went out late on Wednesday afternoon and will return on Thursday to continue its deliberations following a 13-day trial.

Miroslav Pesko, 41, from Middlesex, has denied conspiracy to steal between January 1, 2017 and September 6, 2019.

Duncan O’Donnell, prosecuting has told the jury how Mercedes Sprinter vans had been going missing in large numbers in East Anglia, with police suspecting it was the work of a “sophisticated criminal group” which made more than £1m.

The gang is said to have broken into the vans and stole the electronic ignition switch (EIS) which it is alleged they took to Pesko who is said to have reprogrammed the equipment so the vans could not be tracked.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter