Lowestoft man 'went on rampage' in 'month of madness'
- Credit: Archant
A Lowestoft man who “went on the rampage” and caused thousands of pounds of damage to more than 30 cars, including a police car, has been given a community order
Sentencing 26-year-old Matthew Malam, Judge Emma Peters described his behaviour as a “month of madness.”
Ipswich Crown Court heard on Friday, August 13, that in July last year Malam damaged a police car in Stowmarket by jumping on the bonnet, smashing the windscreen, kicking the wing mirror and damaging the bodywork.
After his arrest he said he’d tried to get his medication from Asda and had gone on a rampage when he couldn’t get it.
The court heard that Malam had also damaged 23 cars on the forecourt of Lings Honda dealership in Lowestoft and damaged cars at John Grose and Enterprise Cars.
Malam, of Waveney Close, Lowestoft, admitted eight offences of criminal damage and two assaults on police officers with three further offences of damaging cars to be considered.
He was given an 18 month community order, a 30 day rehabilitation requirement and ordered to do 60 hours unpaid work.
- 1 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 2 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 3 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 4 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 5 Do you recognise this man?
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 10 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years