Man accused of raping woman he met in city club to face retrial
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2012
A man accused of raping a teenager after he met her in a Norwich club is to have a re-trial later this year.
Shahan Ali, 30, was alleged to have carried out the sex attack after meeting the 17-year-old girl in Reload nightclub, in Prince of Wales Road, Norwich.
A trial at Norwich Crown Court had heard that the girl, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was driven back to the car park of the Holiday Inn on Ipswich Road, in Norwich.
Ali, from Glasgow, was accused of locking the teenager in the vehicle before he forced her to engage in a sexual act on February 19 last year.
Earlier this month a jury unanimously found Ali not guilty of false imprisonment but they were formally discharged after they were unable to reach a verdict on the rape charge.
Following a hearing earlier this month it has been decided there will be a retrial on November 29.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 6 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 7 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 8 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 10 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman