Man jailed for killing a loving father with a single punch in Thetford

PUBLISHED: 20:30 28 March 2018 | UPDATED: 11:53 29 March 2018

Viktoras Goris leaves Norwich magistrates court. Picture: STAFF

Viktoras Goris leaves Norwich magistrates court. Picture: STAFF


A poultry worker who had been on a heavy drinking session killed a loving father with a single punch, a court heard.

Viktoras Goris has been sentenced over the manslaughter of a Thetford man after a one-punch attack in the town in 2016 Photo: Norfolk ConstabularyViktoras Goris has been sentenced over the manslaughter of a Thetford man after a one-punch attack in the town in 2016 Photo: Norfolk Constabulary

Viktoras Goris, 37, had earlier been drinking with victim Gurjit Singh, 39, and claimed to have no memory about what caused him to lash out.

Goris of Guildford Way, Thetford, admitted manslaughter following the death of Mr Singh, 39, after his motionless body was found lying near garages in Durham Way, on Monday, December 12, 2016.

A post mortem revealed the punch floored Mr Singh, who fell heavily backwards causing a head injury, which brought on a heart attack.

William Carter, prosecuting at Norwich Crown Court, said although paramedics were called Mr Singh he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr Carter said that a tearful Goris told those at the scene: “I punched him.”

Mr Carter said Goris admitted he had been drinking heavily and could not remember what happened or recall hitting Mr Singh, who was described by his family as a warm and loving person and a devoted father.

“He does not recall what happened at the critical moment. He did not recall hitting Mr Singh.”

Goris admitted manslaughter on the basis he inflicted a single punch and was jailed for five years with an extended three year licence.

The court heard Goris had a previous robbery conviction in Lithuania in 2004. and committed a similar offence in Ireland in 2011.

Judge Anthony Bate said Goris posed a risk of serious harm to the public, especially after he had been drinking.

He praised moving tributes paid to Mr Singh by his family and said Goris had inflicted a “profound” loss on them: “You must live with that responsibility,” he said.

Mohammed Bashir for Goris, said that he was truly sorry and still had no memory of what happened and had not intended or planned what happened.

He said both men had been drinking and said: “Since his arrest and while in custody he has tried himself to understand and cannot answer. It is no comfort to anyone. This is a sad case for everyone,”

After the case Det Insp Stuart Chapman from Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team said: “Unfortunately again we see the tragic and devastating consequences of one punch attacks, with alcohol as a strong factor.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press