Man found guilty of killing his six-month-old daughter

PUBLISHED: 13:16 19 December 2017 | UPDATED: 16:43 19 December 2017

Arunas Guzas has been found guilty at Norwich Crown Court of killing his daughter. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY

Arunas Guzas has been found guilty at Norwich Crown Court of killing his daughter. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY


A King’s Lynn father has been found guilty of killing his six-month-old daughter.

Officers were called to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn, after Milana Guzas was admitted with suspected head injuries on February 26 last year.

She was transferred to Addenbrookes’s Hospital in Cambridge, where she died on March 2 last year, after her life support equipment was turned off when it became clear she could not be revived.

Arunas Guzas, 40, of Greenland Avenue, King’s Lynn, had denied manslaughter.

But a jury of eight men and four women found Guzas guilty following almost seven and a half hours of deliberations.

Guzas, who wore a brown leather jacket, closed his eyes and bowed his head as the verdict was announced.

Mr Justice Garnham adjourned sentence until 10.30am on Wednesday (December 20).

The court had heard Guzas had killed his daughter by shaking her or causing her head to strike one or more surfaces, causing “irreparable” brain damage.

Karim Khalil QC, prosecuting, said medical staff became suspicious after Guzas brought Milana into the hospital claiming the baby was asleep on his chest when she let out a cry and became stiff and unresponsive.

However, a scan showed Milana had suffered bleeding on the brain and was in a very dangerous condition.

He said she was transferred to Addenbrooke’s and worrying evidence was found of “non-accidential injury”.

Mr Khalil said the explanation given by Guzas kept changing and he told various stories including saying that he had fallen asleep and woke up to find her on the floor.

He said: “His story changes over time, telling different people what happened. We say this changing story emerged as troubling and revealing aspects of damning medical evidence emerged.”

Mr Khalil said: “Our case is that the defendant shook Milana or caused her head to strike one or more surfaces.”

He said the injury had caused irreparable brain damage which led to her death.

Mr Khalil said Guzas and his partner, the mother of Milana, had both been working factory shifts and sharing childcare duties for Milana.

He said the incident happened while he was alone with Milana but rather than phone 999 he had tried to contact his partner and claimed to have massaged the baby and put her in a shower to revive her.

Mr Khalil said in interview Guzas had denied any mishandling of Milana and claimed that he had not said at first about her falling off the bed as he was worried about her injuries.

Mr Khalil told the jury that the prosecution case was that such catastrophic injuries could not have been caused by a simple fall from the bed.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists