Arrest after 'man with gun' hoax on busy seafront
- Credit: James Bass
A man in his 30s has been arrested for wasting police time amid reports of a man with a gun on Great Yarmouth's seafront.
Police were called at 6.53pm on Wednesday (June 2) to Marine Parade where a man was suspected of being in possession of a firearm and three people were said to have been assaulted.
Firearms officers were deployed, but after some work at the scene the report was found to be false.
No assault victims or weapons were found.
A spokesman said a man in his 30s was arrested at the scene on suspicion of wasting police time.
He has been released under investigation while inquiries continue.
People at the scene reported a large police presence and officers with dogs, which sparked some alarm.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 5 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 6 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 7 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 8 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 9 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 10 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market