Man admits dangerous driving and GBH after Norwich hit and run
PUBLISHED: 14:11 25 September 2017
A man has admitted dangerous driving and causing grievous bodily harm after a hit and run in Norwich which left a victim with serious leg and head injuries.
Police officers were called to the Rose Lane area just after 5am on Sunday, August 27, after reports that a black Audi had been in collision with a male pedestrian.
As a result of the accident, the pedestrian suffered serious injuries and was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for emergency treatment.
Ricky Sutton, aged 30, of Civic Gardens, in Norwich, appeared in the dock at Norwich Crown Court and admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent and dangerous driving in Rose Lane and Mountergate, in Norwich, on August 27, this year.
Judge Anthony Bate said that Sutton would get credit for his prompt guilty pleas in the case but warned: “This is a serious offence in which a car was used as a weapon.”
Judge Bate ordered full pre-sentence reports from probation to find out more information about Sutton and the case was adjourned for sentencing until November 17.
He remanded Sutton into custody.
Judge Bate also warned Sutton that he would also be facing a driving ban in future after pleading guilty to the dangerous driving charge.
He said: “You will be inevitably disqualified in due course.”
Chris Youell appeared for the prosecution and Richard Wood for the defence.
After the hit and run in August, police closed the junction at Rose Lane and Eastbourne Place and a cordon was put in place while enquiries were made and emergency services attended the scene.
Although Sutton did not stop immediately after the incident, he was arrested a short time afterwards.
He was arrested and taken into police custody and transported to Aylsham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
Sutton was subsequently charged with dangerous driving and causing grievous bodily harm and appeared at Norwich Magistrates’ Court on Monday August 28, before being remanded in custody and having his case sent to the crown court.
He entered his guilty pleas to the two charges at his first appearance at the crown court.