17,000 illegal cigarettes found stashed in store ceiling after tip-off
- Credit: Archant
Officers found 17,000 illegal cigarettes and 2.25kg of illegal tobacco hidden in the ceiling of a shop.
On Monday, July 29, a joint inspection by Norfolk County Council Trading Standards and Norfolk Police found the illegal stash in a convenience store in King's Lynn.
The business was visited as a result of a tip-off to Norfolk Police regarding the possible sale of illegal cigarettes to minors.
In the past year Norfolk Trading Standards have seized more than a quarter of a million illegal cigarettes and more than three quarters of a tonne of illegal tobacco.
Sophie Leney, head of Norfolk Trading Standards, said: "I would like to thank members of the public and our enforcement colleagues for continuing to provide invaluable information that assists us when carrying out these activities.
You may also want to watch:
"Businesses that sell illegal tobacco should be aware that this is not tolerated by the community and it is likely that you will be reported. We will continue to carry out enforcement actions to disrupt these activities."
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 4 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 5 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 6 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 7 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 8 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast