Daughters still seeking justice for Norwich woman beheaded in Tenerife

Jennifer Mills-Westley.

Jennifer Mills-Westley. - Credit: PA

The daughters of Jennifer Mills-Westley tonight said they were still fighting for justice for their mother, despite her killer being convicted following a brutal attack.

The former Norwich woman was beheaded by paranoid schizophrenic Deyan Deyanov in Tenerife two years ago where the ex-Norfolk County Council road safety officer was spending her retirement.

Her daughters Sam and Sarah Mills-Westley said they were seeking an independent review into why the 29-year-old Bulgarian was released from a psychiatric unit in Wales a year before the death of their 60-year-old mother.

The trial of Mrs Mills-Westley's killer was featured on Channel 4's Dispatches last night as camera's followed the family's quest for answers.

The documentary followed the daughters as they paid a visit to the aunt of Deyanov in Wales where the Bulgarian had been sectioned to a psychiatric unit on two occasions in 2010 after suffering from schizophrenic episodes. They said mental health services had 'failed' Deyanov and the Mills-Westley family after he was discharged from Glan Clwdy Hospital in north Wales with no apparent treatment plan. The daughters revealed in the documentary that they were having to write to their mother's killer to seek his permission to access his health records to find out why he was released by the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board.

In a statement tonight, they said: 'We're glad that we have been able to share the difficult journey that we have been on for the past two years; we have fought tirelessly and yet have so little information. It is evident that there have been failings in the care and treatment of Deyanov, therefore we hope the Welsh authorities will accept that it's in the public interest to provide us with the information that we have repeatedly requested and to also instruct an independent enquiry.' Deyanov was sentenced to 20 years in a secure psychiatric unit following his conviction in February. He had been committed to a Tenerife psychiatric in 2011, but was discharged three months before killing Mrs Mills-Westley in a supermarket on May 13, 2011.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter